Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy 1 Year Birthday Sweet Emily Anne


One year ago on this day, our hearts swelled yet again, opened wide and filled with love for little Emily Anne.

She was born very early in the morning and very quickly. We barely made it to the birth center in time. The mid wife seemed to be caught off guard when she saw how far along Jen was. Only twenty minutes after we arrived, Emily was born.

Jen, as usual, did an amazing job. I felt slightly more capable helping her then I did when Sophie was born.

Like Emily's birth, her first year has felt as equally speedy. It only seems like yesterday when she was a newborn. She's now toddling around the house. Learning to talk and gesture and generally just enjoying her world.

She is one of the funniest babies I've ever known. She frequently tries to make people laugh by making funny nosies or moving her body in some silly way.

She's got a fiery temper and a strong will too. She balances it out with a genuine sweetness that will melt your heart. If she gives you a hug, you'll know what I mean.

I am convinced that Emily is my father born again. She looks like him and so far, their personalities seem to be almost identical. When Jen was still breast-feeding Emily she said it was it was like she was breastfeeding a tiny version of her father in law.

We've already decided that Em will be our last child. Em's first birthday is intensely bittersweet because of this. She is the last 1 year old I will Father. Her nightly feedings are that much more precious now. Nurturing her as baby, providing for her and comforting her, helping her ease into a night’s sleep (hopefully). Before we know it, she won't need us to feed her, hold her and be close with her at bedtime. She probably doesn’t need it even now, yet we do it.

Jen and I have been incredibly lucky. We've be blessed to given the opportunity to raise two smart, sweet girls. I cannot imagine our life any different than it is now. Nor would I want to. My heart pours love for my girls and my wife. Our little family feels just right.

Emily, I am so proud and grateful to be your Daddy. I hope I can do right by you. My only words of advice are the following:

Stay sweet, stay fiery, stay funny, stay curious. Make mistakes. Apologize when feelings are hurt. Treat everyone as you would want to be treated. Explore the world. Listen to lots of different music. Enjoy art. Eat your dinner. Plant a garden. Brush your teeth. Thank people profusely. Say “please” frequently. Stand up for yourself and others. Work hard at what you love. Hug your big sister. Never take love, family or friends for granted.

I love you little Emily Anne. Have a wonderful first birthday.

Love,
Daddy - xoxo

3 comments:

David W. MacDougall said...

Happy birthday, Emily from your Grandpop and Grandmom in South Carolina. Wish we were there to see you today!

And thank you Jim for a wonderful post. I thank God that you came into my daughter's life and I am proud of both of you.

Caely said...

Gorgeous post, UJ. Thank you for my little friends, I can't imagine my life without them.

Pat Mont. said...

Oh James! I am lying here in bed crying. What a beautiful tribute to little Schmoops! She is exactly all those things you said. I am so thankful you and Jen picked each other; and that you gave me two of the best little girlies in the world. I love you all so much, I could just about pop!