Sunday, December 9, 2007

24 week belly shot and a tarot reading



So, you can see that I still have my belly button (for now) but I'm definitely getting bigger. Sophie is too - in fact, in week 24 she is supposed to gain about 6 ounces. This is pretty amazing considering it took 24 weeks for her to get to be about 16 ounces...

Yesterday at my friend Stacey's lovely 35th birthday party in New York City, there was a tarot card reader who was giving readings. When I sat down with her, I originally wasn't going to ask about the baby or anything (I just didn't want to put that on Sophie or myself) but then I decided to ask after all. She had me pull 11 cards and then another 3 or 4 more about the labor specifically. I thought I'd share some "highlights" of what she told me.

First, she said that there was a lot of love for this baby (which of course, if you're family or close friends) you know is true. She said there is so much love that I'll need to set boundaries because we'll be tired and while everyone will want to help and be present, we will need to be able to set some boundaries so we can have our quiet time as a family and get our sleep and adjust. She said that the nursery is going to be wonderful and I don't have to worry about money (that should be interesting) and should "buy whatever crib and furniture I want." She saw "lavender" but trust me, it is most definitely not going to be a lavender nursery. She also said that the furniture will be used again for a second baby. :-)

Then, she said that my partner is a wonderful and amazing person (which of course if you are family or close friends, you also know is so true). She said this in such a way that was so heartfelt and genuine like she really saw what a great guy Jim is. She said the he is so excited about this baby coming and that it really means a lot to him that it is a girl. (At this point, I was definitely teary. She nailed this part!!) She said that he is ready and willing to help in any way but I have to tell him what I need because he's not a mind-reader.

As for the actual labor itself she said that it will be "easy" but also "wildly unexpected" "like when we're at a Broadway show" or something. Now... we're actually going to see Wicked on Broadway in mid-January and this is the first time I've ever seen a Broadway show so I got pretty nervous about this and asked her and she said "oh no, this baby is not pre-term but will just arrive when you are really not expecting it." She said "think like in a cab and you and the cabbie's photo will be in the paper." She also said that I am going to need about 3 weeks to get ready for the baby and that I should not work up till my due date. This was sort of interesting because I've fully planned to just work up until my due date.

Anyway, some other little points she mentioned were that she saw the labor happening on a full moon and at night. So of course, I checked the full moon for March and it's
March 3rd! Full moon for April is April 2nd. That appeals to me a bit more than March 3rd so if the labor is on a full moon, let's hope Sophie chose the later one.

Fun stuff, huh? We shall see whether she is right on any of the labor and delivery stuff but I'll tell you she nailed the part about their being a lot of love for the arrival of our little Sophie girl as well as the part about her Daddy being so amazing.

No comments: