Monday, December 3, 2007

Fourth Prenatal Appointment

Today was our fourth prenatal appointment at The Bryn Mawr Birth Center. It was a good visit with a new midwife, Maria, who was very sweet and kind. She said that this was a very exciting week because in four days, Sophie will be "viable" which means if she were to be born prematurely after that point, she would have a decent chance of surviving (with some major medical attention obviously). This is really so exciting to me. I remember the first time I flew alone once I knew I was pregnant and it actually hit me really hard that if god forbid, something were to happen to me, that would mean that the baby likely would not survive. It was really disturbing to me and made me very concerned and sad. Now, that she is almost "viable" I have some comfort knowing that she will likely be ok even if something unforeseen ever happened to me.

Anyway, on a happier note, Maria the mid-wife took my blood pressure, fundal height which was 24 cm (last visit (on November 5th) it was 20 cm), and listened to the baby's heartbeat (150 beats per minute). So, everything seemed good and right on track.

She also gave me a glucose drink which I will need to drink 45 minutes before my next prenatal appointment in January so that they can do a glucose tolerance test for gestational diabetes. And, finally we registered for our 5 week Birth Center Birthing Classes which begin on Jim's birthday, January 29th. Exciting stuff!

No comments: