Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Updates on Birth Center Appointments, Classes and Hospital Tours





Tonight we had our 37 and a half week appt. at the Birth Center. Jamesina (a new midwife there) was nice and talked to us about real signs of labor and how to be aware of signs of post-partum depression. She also reviewed our Birthing Hopes and Dreams and then said Sophie was right on track - weight was good, fundal height was good (37 cm) and the baby's heart beat was 140. She also gave us the good news that the results of my Group B Strep test came back negative (which means I will not have to be on antibiotics during delivery - that's a relief!) Finally, she felt Sophie's position and said she was still head down and most likely had her back on my right side and her feet and hands on my left side. She had Jim feel where the head was and also the hard parts (which she claims were back and feet). Funny, she also had Jim feel that I was having a contraction although it didn't feel like anything to me besides a tightening. I've been having lots of that so apparently, I'm contracting a lot and just didn't realize it. So, all in all we're in good shape until our next appointment next week (yes, I'm on weekly appointments now).

Last night we had a tour of the Bryn Mawr Hospital. This was something the Birth Center recomends you do to familiarize yourself with the hospital should you need to be transferred. We saw the Labor and Delivery area, the Maternity area, the NICU, where the operating rooms are for C-Sections, the recovery areas, and finally the nursery. When Jim and I were talking about whether to do this tour or not, I said "well, at least we'll get to see babies in the nursery" so we were both looking forward to that part but of course, the tour guide saved the nursery for last and there were NO BABIES in there! What's up with that? We were so bummed to not even get to see a newborn wrinkly little baby hanging out in there. Oh well, most likely they were rooming in with their moms. All in all is seemed ok though of course I hope we don't end up there. At least if we do, we now know where to park and where the cafeteria is!!

Last week we finished our 5 weeks of birth classes with a class on breastfeeding. It was led by one of the birth center nurses, Patty. And, our last actual childbirth class was the week before that with Sarah doing a wrap-up on what to expect post-partum.

In other updates, I'm feeling overall pretty good but tired and big and pretty weighed down with all this baby in front of me. I have a little bit of swelling (but nothing too bad) and sleep is pretty uncomfortable. Natures way of preparing me for being up all night, I guess!

For Sophie's nursery update, I finally hung the letters I painted for her wall and we ordered a rug for her. We continue to put away all the beautiful gifts and wash all the beautiful clothes (and try to find room for them). Last weekend, we put together the co-sleeper (which now sits in her room where the crib will eventually go) and the swing. Ollie is facinated by them both, of course. We also assembled the Baby Bjorn (I keep waiting for Ollie to try and get carried in there) and now have two slings. One we ordered from Target with a gift card and another we just got as a surprise in the mail yesterday from some of our amazing friends (Monty Q and his Mom who is also pregnant) in the Cat Blogosphere. We can't wait to use them both!

We're stocking up on food for the birth center and adding final things to our bag to take there. Not much more to do now except wait for the day she decides to make her grand entrance into this world!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi!
Your hard work has paid off.The nursery looks fantastic!My group asks about you weekly and they want you to know all 3 of you are in our prayers. I've enjoyed watching your progress these past months. Stay well.
Love to you three,
Kathy

Kimo and Sabi said...

Ollie is doing a good job snoopervising - and it's his right since he is gonna be da big brother! We gots some big letters for our blurpy gurl too, but Mommakitty still hasn't put them up! We also gots a co-sleeper like yers (but different color) - we are not allowed in it (but we like to play UNDER it). We is gittin' excited fer all of you!!!