Thursday, March 27, 2008

Welcome to the World Sophia Grace








She's finally here!!

Sophia Grace Oxenford was born at 1:10am on March 26, 2008. She weighed in at 7 lbs., 14 ounces and was 20 inches long. Labor went incredibly quickly for me (active labor started around 8pm and by the time we arrived at the birth center around 10pm, I was 9 cm dialated! I pushed for about 2 hours with a dream team of helpers including Aunt Pat (a trained doula), godmother Heather, midwifes Jamesina and Peggy, and of course the best daddy in the world. Dee Ree and Roger showed up shortly after her arrival. Jim was the first to put his hands on her as he caught her when she finally came out and he then put her right on my belly for some quality bonding time. Jim then also cut the cord after it pulsed out. Labor and delivery were almost exactly as we'd hoped and planned (strong and fast) with just a couple of unexpected gotchas (turns out I was GBS positive afterall but that wasn't noticed until my birth center appointment at 3:30pm on the 25th (when I was already 2 cm. dilated and my cervix was fully thinned out already). So, when I arrived at the birth center, they wanted to give me IV antibiotics but because I was already 9 cm dilated and in very active labor, they were not able to get the IV into me on either arm. So, we did not have the antibiotics but because I had no other risk factors and because my water never broke (Sophia started crowning while still in the bag of waters) until the very end, the chances that she will have GBS complications are less likely. Extra precautions are being taken to monitor her and we have our second pediatrician's appointment today. The other complication was that I did have to have many stiches because Sophia was born with her hand against her face so I've been a bit sore but already healing quickly I think. Sophie scored a 9.9 on the apgar test and was alert and intent and a happy little girl all night long.

Proud pappa and I survived our first night home with her (with help and provisions from Dee Ree and Godmother Heather) and while we didn't get tons of sleep, we were able to sleep on and off by taking turns with her. She was definitely most vocal between about 11 and 3am but then we were able to get some good feedings in and some rest (though always on either Daddy or me) not any solid rest on her on in the co-sleeper.

Today, Day 2, is going well so far. We've eaten healthy breakfast. Sophia has been eating like a champ. We will soon get ready for the pediatricians visit. And, of course, post more as we can.

More photos are available as we can post them at http://joxenford.smugmug.com/gallery/4593083_upLbX

4 comments:

Unknown said...

She is almost 8 pounds of awesome!! Congratulations on such a beautiful baby!

John Speno said...

Welcome to the world, Sophia. We're so glad you've come.

Mama Mia said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Welcome adorable baby Sophia!!
So happy to hear the news and see the pix. Hope you recover quickly, Philly Mama Jen.
Blessings and love,
Sandra, Jose, Chaz & Lucas
xox

Kathy said...

Please keep the photos coming. All of us are certainly enjoying every single one! Jennifer and Sophia look like the the Madonna and Child in the photo where they are reclined in the bed at the birthing center.
Love to you 3,
Kathy aka grandma Kathy