Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another Day in the Life




Here was Sophie outside on Mother's Day before we left for Nanny and Poppy's house. She is wearing a pretty dress that was a present from her cousins Madee and CJ (and their mom and dad Judi and Chris, of course). Notice how intent she is on those white flowers? She just loves flowers so much. Points to them all and I tell her the names of them if I know them. Then, when I ask her "Where is the azalea? Where is the maple? Where is the phlox? Where is the hosta" she goes right to it and points to the right one. Isn't that the best??? Ah.... too cute. Oh, and if she sees a flower in the ground (dandelion, buttercup, little purple weed) she SCREAMS real loud indicating that she wants me to pick it, which of course, I do and give to her and she just lights up and smiles when she has her little "bouquet".

Poor Sophie is teething pretty bad this week. She has been really putting her hand in her mouth and is much fussier than she has been lately. I know she is in a lot of pain and Jim and I so wish we could just get all these teeth over and done with for her sake. But, with some extra TLC and tylenol and teethers she seems to be hanging in there ok.

Yesterday was pretty comical...she was napping in the car for over an hour after spending most of the day having a really great time at the wonderful Elmwood Park Zoo with our friends, The Bannisters. She had been sleeping for over an hour so it was time for her to wake up but you could tell she was really sleeping hard (she barely moved or woke up the whole time we were driving). When I got the grocery store and woke her up she was *very* unhappy. She was crying and heavy and screaming I know she just wanted to be back asleep but it was too late in the day and I had to pick up a few things quickly in the store. So, I tried to put her in the cart and she lost it. I mean, LOST IT. So, I held her. I carried her through the whole store pushing the cart and having a very heavy and sleepy and sad baby in my arms. We checked out quickly in the self-checkout lane and then I went to put her in the carseat to go home and of course, she LOST IT again. Screaming, crying, wailing etc. Well, at that point my cart with the groceries and my purse and everything starts rolling away across the parking lot toward another car. In that split moment I had the urge to go after the cart but she wasn't strapped in yet so of course I chose baby (shwew, good mom instinct, huh? Imagine if I had chosen cart over baby) and continued to fight to get her strapped in while the cart just rolled and rolled. Finally, I got her strapped in safely and turned to sprint across the parking lot while she wailed and wailed even louder. Oh, good times, huh? Welcome to a day in the life of a SAHM!!

2 comments:

Heather Snediker-Morscheck said...

You are a good mommy and she is so CUTE!

Kiera said...

Dear Sophie's Mommy:
RULE #1 . . . NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY!
'Nuff said. (I have to remind my parents about this every once in a while too).