Thursday, May 7, 2009

You are my sunshine





Round these parts the sun hasn't been shining too much lately. We've had rain, rain and more rain. Oh, and some more rain. So, when there is a dry moment, we make the best of it and head outside to pick "flowers", walk around in the back yard, look at birds, point to plants and so much more. Everytime an airplane goes by overhead (and this is quite often actually given our proximity to Philadelphia International Airport), Sophie throws her arm up in the air, points and grunts loudly. This is how she indicates she hears it. Her hearing is really quite good actually and she will do this inside when the airplane sound is remarkably faint. What good ears, our little angel has!!!

This is such a fun age. I'm enjoying Sophie sooooo very much these days. She is full of kisses and hugs and laughter and new words. Of course, there are still challenging moments and she is teething a little but my gosh, this age is a blast!! I LOVE to hear her attempts at words. So far her lexicon includes: momma, dadda, yesssss, ice, puffs, nana, and no (which sounds more like nuh, nuh, nuh, nuh as she wags her finger at something she knows she is not supposed to do. I admit I am thankful she hasn't figured out to say no when she doesn't want something yet). I also swear I have heard her say again, bye and car sometimes and a few others I know I am possibly forgetting. The cutest has to be how often she says yes. To wit:

Me: "Sophie, do you want some puffs"
Sophie: "Yessss"

Me: "Sophie, would you like some cheese?"
Sophie: "Yessss"

Me: (after reading a story about a family where the daddy likes green beans, the mommy likes peas, the baby likes cauliflower, "pass more please") "Sophie, do you like greenbeans"
Sophie: "Yesssss"
Me: "Sophie, do you like peas"
Sophie: "Yessss"
Me: "Sophie, do you like cauliflower?
Sophie:

Addendum: Sophie TOTALLY does say "no" when she doesn't want something. Why she did it to me by wagging her hand and saying nuh, nuh, nuh at breakfast just yesterday. I don't know who I was kidding. Denial is a powerful thing...

2 comments:

Kiera said...

Today was the first day of sunshine at my house - it's been raining (or drizzling) for several days. We're supposed to have a nice weekend though. I like to wave my finger at my parents too - they need to understand when I seriously mean NO! I hope you have a nice Mommy's Day on Sunday. I'm going to take my mommy out to lunch, then just generally try to be cute and fun all day - maybe she'll take ME shopping afterwards (I'm going to try to use this cute kid routine as long as I can!). Have a nice weekend!

Heather Snediker-Morscheck said...

That Sophie, you can't pull one over on her!