Thursday, August 7, 2008

What a week


What a big week we've all had here! Sophie started "school" at the Penn Children's Center. We never in a million years thought she'd get in so early (she's been on the wait list since February but they told us it was a 15-18 month wait for infants so we figured she wouldn't even be an infant anymore by the time they could take her). But, I called a few weeks ago (because you had to call every two months to let them know you were still interested) and they said because the days we were requesting were flexible, they had an opening for infants and could take her now.

Sophie has been assigned to the Little Ladybugs room. Her main teacher is Ms. Robin and the other teachers are Ms. Nora, Ms. Arlene and Ms. Ethopia. They are all amazing women. I've gotten to spend some quality time with them this week and I have to say that I'm very very impressed.

This was technically her orientation week so she went for two hours on Tuesday, three hours on Wednesday and six hours today! On Tuesday, I stayed with her the full two hours. It was suggested in the handbook we got that parents stay the entire first day for the full two hours, then on the second day they are encouraged to stay as well and the third orientation day they can stay or leave as they see fit. Being with her on that first day was really to create a comfort level I guess. I basically held her and nursed her the entire time. Day 2 was tough. Really tough. I actually had to leave pretty early because of a committment at work so I basically dropped her off and after about 20-25 mins I left. When I left, she was crying. When I came back to get her she was crying. It was so hard and so sad and I felt terrible. But, they said she had a decent day. She didn't cry too much (they said) and even slept in her crib there. Today was even better. When I left her this morning, she seemed ok and wasn't crying. I couldn't take it so I called at 10:30 and they said she was doing ok (not great but ok). I decided to go check on her at noon. Well, when I walked in she was lying on the floor playing and talking with Ms. Nora. They said she had gone through almost all of the milk I brought and played and talked and was rolling around on the floor and everything. So I felt great that she was having such a great day. When I went back to pick her up around 2:30 (they asked me to come back earlier because she had so little milk left) they said she was "out cold" sleeping so I decided to come back at 3pm. (I sat in the car and did email to wait until she woke up.) When I went in to get her she was awake and being held by another of the infant teachers from a different class and they all told me she had a great first day. They said she was talking and laughing and rolling around on the floor. They had her in a highchair eating more cereal and she even held her bottle herself. (She has never done these things at home mind you.)

They also happened to have a unplanned fire drill today and so Sophie got wheeled outside in the crib for about 30 - 40 mins. They said that she was fine and actually slept through the alarm (where as other kids were crying). They couldn't believe she could sleep through it like that!! Sounds to me like she loves "school" and is going to really enjoy it and all the new experiences and new friends she's making there. After we left, she fell asleep and took a 2 hour nap!! (They must have really tuckered her out!)

So... all in all I'd say it was a great first week. Being able to spend time in the daycare and get to know her teachers has really made me appreciate how much they love the kids in their care and how sweet and wonderful they all are. Knowing that Sophie had a good day today makes me feel so much better about the whole thing. Next week, we start up for two full days and I just know now that we're all going to be just fine.

Other than daycare, Sophie is just enjoying the whole business of eating so much. Her daddy now feeds her cereal in the morning (two bowls lately) and then she sits and watches him as he eats his cereal too. This weekend we're going to start on mashed bananas!!

"I can hold my own spoon, Daddy!"


Loving my cereal so much


Over the weekend, Sophie had her first trip out to Pottstown. We had dinner with Nanny and Poppy and Sophie got to meet lots of her Oxenford family. Daddy also really got a kick out of bringing his daughter back to his own hometown.

Poppy showing me some real spoons

Oh, sorry Poppy! Did I bonk you on the head with the spoons?

No comments: