Sunday, January 17, 2010

Life with a Peanut


Life with Sophie is just so fun...

The other day I was driving her back from visiting the new Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting, PA (which, by the way, is out of this world fabulous) and I guess she thought I was taking a corner too quickly or something because she started going "Whooaaa - careful. Careful." At first, I didn't know what she meant but she kept saying it and I realized she wanted me to be careful going around that corner. Funny or WHAT? Then, yesterday we had our friends and Sophie's PA godparents, The Federwitz's, over. They have 3 boys and they were roughhousing a little and wrestling and I had so much fun just watching Sophie who just watched them with glee and delight. But, if they would get a little too rough, she would say "Whoooaaa, careful." They barely noticed but she would just hang out near them and say it while they wrestled. I am really amused by this because it feels like classic DeeRee and now it's passed on to Sophie as well.

Then, today we were playing while Jim went up to take a nap (he had let me sleep in this morning so he got to try and take a little pm snooze). Sophie was coloring and making letters on her paper and then stood up and said "Jim??" and I said "Jim? You mean, Daddy? He's sleeping. Shhhhh." So she proceeds to go to the stairs and yell "Jim??????" Hysterical. I eventually got her to bring it down to a whisper and thankfully Jim didn't wake up from it but come on, kid. Jim????

Also today Sophie was in the kitchen playing with her kitchen magnets (or so we thought) and it got real real quiet. Jim got nervous and looked up and checked on her and there she was in the middle of the kitchen floor concentrating intently on dumping out all of the milk from her "leak-proof" sippy cup. She was just sitting on the floor pouring it all out onto her dress and the floor and really focusing on this project with great care. Silence is a dead give away for trouble, you know...

Next she wanted a lollipop (this is not unusual as she asks for cookies, lollipops or popsicles multiple times a day). She was just about to eat some lunch so I said if you eat your meatballs and spaghetti you can have a lollipop. And she went, "A lollipop???? Are you kidding me????" which is what we say to her whenever we do decide to give her a little treat. It was too cute. Her excitement was tangible. And
it truly is enlightening to hear what we obviously say to her a lot. That thought of that little Dum Dum lollipop made her so blissfully happy. She did eat her meatballs and spaghetti and then didn't mention the lollipop again so I thought we were in the clear but a few minutes after I got her down and wiped her off, she asked again so of course she got it and she was in pure heaven. It is a very good day here at the Oxenford Ranch. Despite a rainy gray day we are having fun playing and being with the light of our lives (who happens to be taking a late pm siesta at the moment) and just hanging out at home.

3 comments:

David W. MacDougall said...

Sounds like a great day.

Heather Snediker-Morscheck said...

Sigh. Missing the bliss.

Susie said...

Because of Sophie, Kiera is now interested in having bows in her hair (she like to look at Sophie's blog). Now, to get Kiera's hair in pigtails / ponytail, I have to do it myself (hence, growing my hair out).